6 Reasons to Get Comprehensive Car Insurance in Kenya
By the time you are getting to our blog, you are probably looking into having the best comprehensive car insurance in Kenya or even trying to understand what comprehensive motor insurance is all about. You are also aware that having motor vehicle insurance is a legal requirement in Kenya. You are also likely to be either a first-time car owner or you are probably doing more research to understand what car insurance in Kenya covers and doesn’t cover and so much more.
Are you looking for comprehensive motor insurance in Kenya? Then look no further, you are at the right place. By now you know that driving on Kenyan roads is quite unpredictable. From the potholes to the reckless drivers to the drunk drivers, to the ungovernable matatus, to people that vandalize your car in the middle of traffic, and don’t forget those “nduthis” that just show up from nowhere. Hence having comprehensive car insurance in Kenya becomes one of the ways in which you can ensure to guard yourself and your property against any financial liabilities that might arise by just being a road user.
What is Comprehensive Car Insurance in Kenya?
So, what is comprehensive motor insurance? This is an insurance policy specifically made for cars and other types of motor vehicles such as lorries, PSV both matatus and taxis, and bodabodas just to mention a few. This type of insurance gives a wide range of protection for you and your vehicle. In this section, we shall be answering the questions such as what it covers, and how much it costs among other things.
What does a comprehensive type of insurance cover in Kenya?
Comprehensive car insurance in Kenya covers you the vehicle owner against a wide range of damages which include:
- Accidental damages to your car
- Theft of your car. This includes either total theft or partial thefts
- Acts of God or natural disasters such as flooding, storms, falling trees, and building among others
From the above list, you can see how comprehensive motor insurance in Kenya is also different from other types of car insurance in Kenya such s third-party-only insurance which covers you against property damage and third-party liability that you are directly liable for but does not cover you against accidental damages, fire and theft of your car.
What is included in comprehensive car insurance in Kenya?
Generally, your comprehensive car insurance will have some added benefits which include:
- A free windscreen cover can be between 30,000-100,000 depending on your car insurance company. This exceeds window glass and rare windshield.
- A free radio cassette/cd player cover that can be between Ksh. 30,000-100,000 depending on your motor insurance provider.
- An inbuilt third-party cover that protects you against any financial liability in the event of property damage or third-party bodily injuries
- A medical expense limit of between Ksh. 20,000-50,000 depending on your motor insurance provider
- A free towing limit in the event of an accident and your car becomes immobile.
- Additional benefits such as excess protection, political violence and terrorism cover, road rescue, and replacement car which you purchase at an extra cost
How old does a car have to be to get comprehensive car insurance in Kenya?
This question is always a loaded question. This is because the different car insurance companies in Kenya have a maximum limit in which they can accept vehicles they never insured comprehensively before into the book
To be able to get comprehensive motor insurance in Kenya, your vehicle needs to be between the ages of 0-15 years from the date/year of manufacture based on the research we have done.
Therefore, by the time your car is turning 15 years, you will need to engage your agent to ensure they find you a reputable car insurance provider in Kenya that will guarantee you a renewal as comprehensive insurance coverage in Kenya as long as you insure with them.
How much does comprehensive car insurance cost?
With all that information, the next question is how much comprehensive motor insurance costs in Kenya? This answer will be based on several things such as:
- Value of your car: the higher the value of the car the lower the rate the various insurance companies in Kenya will charge.
- Year of manufacture: Older vehicles are likely to attract higher rates
- Make and model: Some insurance companies have classified the various makes and models in Kenya under several classes such as Nissan, Honda, and Mazda- though overall affordable, they have expensive parts hence higher rates. Others such as Subaru and BMWs are common among the vehicles having more than 1 claim in a year hence higher rates. Others such as Toyota Probox, Toyota Noahs, and Sienta just to mention a few are more likely to not be used for the purpose originally bought for so as a result, they are either not insured at all by those insurance companies or if insured, they attract higher rates.
- Usage of vehicle: Private motor vehicle insurance attracts lower rates and better terms than PSVs, and lorries among others.
- Claim History: If you have had previous claims, your rates and costs of comprehensive car insurance in Kenya are likely to be higher.
What are the requirements needed to get comprehensive motor vehicle insurance in Kenya?
To get comprehensive car insurance in Kenya, you’ll need to provide requirements for comprehensive insurance documentation which:
- A copy of your national identification card or passport.
- A copy of your driving license.
- The logbook of your vehicle.
- A valuation report of your vehicle.
- A filled-out proposal form.
- Once you provide the necessary documentation, the insurance company will assess the risk associated with your vehicle and provide you with a quote. If you accept the quote, you’ll be required to pay the premium, and your comprehensive car insurance policy will be activated.
What are the Benefits of Comprehensive Car Insurance in Kenya?
Now that you know how comprehensive car insurance works in Kenya, let’s take a closer look at the benefits it provides.
- Protection against financial loss: Comprehensive car insurance in Kenya can help protect you financially if your car is damaged, stolen, or involved in an accident. Without insurance, you could be left with a hefty repair bill or the cost of replacing your car entirely.
- Coverage for third-party damage: Comprehensive car insurance also covers damage caused by your vehicle to other people’s property or vehicles. This can save you a lot of money if you accidentally damage someone else’s car or property.
- Peace of mind while driving: With comprehensive car insurance, you can drive with confidence knowing that you’re covered in the event of an unexpected event.
- Additional benefits: While third-party car insurance is mandatory in Kenya, some comprehensive car insurance policies offer additional benefits such as roadside assistance, medical cover, and personal accident cover.
- Compliance with legal requirements: In Kenya, it’s a legal requirement to have at least third-party car insurance. By getting comprehensive car insurance, you’ll comply with this legal requirement while also getting more extensive coverage.
- Assistance and support: In the event of an accident or other unexpected event, comprehensive car insurance can provide assistance and support, such as towing services or help with filing a claim especially when you work with a professional agency such as us, Amssurity Insurance Agency
What are the Drawbacks of Comprehensive Car Insurance in Kenya?
While there are many benefits to having comprehensive car insurance in Kenya, there are also some disadvantages to taking this cover you will need to consider.
- Cost: Comprehensive car insurance can be more expensive than other types of insurance, such as third-party insurance or third-party fire and theft motor insurance. This can be quite restrictive especially if you are on a tight budget
- Exclusions, what is not covered, and limitations: Like all insurance policies, comprehensive car insurance in Kenya has exclusions and limitations. It’s important to read the policy documents very carefully and understand what is and is not covered.
- Excesses and deductibles: Some comprehensive car insurance policies require you to pay an excess before the insurance company can be able to settle the claim. It is important to know which excess there are, how they are supposed to be paid, and if you have extra money to spare if you can purchase the excesses and deductible.
- False sense of security: Having comprehensive car insurance can give you a false sense of security and make you feel invincible on the road. It’s important to always drive responsibly and take all necessary precautions to avoid accidents. Remember, claims submitted to the insurance company with negligence that can be proven are always declined.
- Claims following mechanical failure, electrical failure, and normal wear and tear are not covered under your comprehensive car insurance in Kenya, therefore it is important to ensure you service and maintain your car well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Comprehensive Car Insurance in Kenya
How do I choose the best comprehensive car insurance coverage in Kenya?
Choosing the best comprehensive car insurance coverage in Kenya can seem like a difficult task considering the conflicting information out here and also the insurance reputation in Kenya. However, with a bit of research and careful consideration, you can make the right decision. Here are some tips to help you choose the best comprehensive car insurance coverage in Kenya:
- Assess your needs: Before selecting any insurance option, do evaluate your needs and the risks you face on the road. Do you frequently drive in high-traffic areas? Do you stay in an area with great incidents of car theft or vandalism? Understanding the risks that you are exposed to can help you choose the best motor insurance coverage that meets your unique needs.
- Compare coverage options: Once you have assessed your needs, compare different comprehensive car insurance coverage options available in Kenya. Look at the policy’s terms and conditions, coverage limits, and excesses to determine what works best for you.
- Check the insurance provider’s reputation: Before you make a decision, research the insurance provider’s reputation. Read reviews and ratings from other customers to gauge their experiences with the provider.
- Consider the cost: Price is an essential factor when choosing comprehensive car insurance coverage, but it should not be the only consideration. Make sure you compare and do a cost-benefit analysis of the insurance you will receive.
- Seek expert advice: Consider seeking advice from an insurance expert such as Amssurity Insurance Agency or a trusted friend who has experience with comprehensive car insurance covers in Kenya. Insurance experts like us can provide valuable insights that can help you make an informed decision.
- Remember, choosing a great comprehensive car insurance coverage is an important decision that can impact your financial and physical well-being. Remember to always take your time to do your research, and choose the best car insurance coverage that best fits your needs and budget.
Does comprehensive insurance cover the driver?
Generally, comprehensive car insurance usually covers the vehicle only, as well as any damage or loss that may occur as a result of accidental damages, collisions, theft, fire, vandalism, or acts of God such as flooding and storms. However, it does not typically cover personal injuries sustained by you, the driver, or passengers if they are your immediate family.
To cover personal injuries suffered in an accident, you would need to have personal accident insurance or medical insurance coverage in place. Medical and personal accident insurance is meant to cover the cost of medical and health care treatment and related expenses, such as hospital stays and rehabilitation.
So, in short, while comprehensive car insurance in Kenya does not typically cover the driver or immediate passengers in the event of an accident, you can take out additional insurance policies to provide this type of coverage. If you have any further questions or concerns about your comprehensive car insurance coverage in Kenya, it’s always a good idea to speak with your insurance provider or a qualified insurance Agent like us to get more information.